The holiday season is festive and fun…But it can also be extremely tough on feet, ankles, legs, and knees. Shopping for hours, standing in long checkout lines, attending holiday parties, cooking, traveling to friends and relatives, lugging packages to the post office…Phew!
And for the millions of Americans who work in retail, it also means long shifts on the job, standing up stocking shelves or at the register ringing up customers. Wearing fashionable boots, heels, and other non-sensible footwear also takes its toll, causing tired, achy, cranky, sore and swollen feet and aching legs. Then there’s dancing the night away at holiday parties that put feet through their paces….
No one wants soreness or injuries to slow them down, so it’s important to care for your feet so they can carry you through all those seasonal celebrations and chores. It is possible to shop without dropping and enjoy the holidays more with less pain.
1. When shopping or doing errands, leave heels at home and wear comfortable shoes. Athletic shoes, flats, or low-heeled boots with good arch support and padded soles help increase comfort and prevent ankle and foot pain that results in wearing heels. We’re a fan of Dansko Shoes for Shopping [they’re a B Corp like us!]
2. Distribute the weight of shopping bags evenly on both sides of your body. Lighten your load by making frequent trips to the car to drop off packages.
3. Women should opt for carrying a small backpack rather than a heavy purse. We choose Ameribag, a company we’ve partnered with in the past and are headquartered close to us in the Hudson Valley!
4. Keep your energy up by taking frequent breaks to enjoy a snack, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and rest your feet. We like Dopper water bottles since for every bottle sold, Dopper® gives 5% of their sales to water and sanitation projects to increase access to clean drinking water worldwide through the Dopper® Foundation that has contributed over $100,000 to date for sanitation projects and education programs in Nepal and other developing countries.
5. And we recommend Applying Topricin Foot Therapy Cream before heading out for a heavy-duty day of holiday shopping, hours of travel, or a night on the town, massaging it onto legs, ankles, feet and all around your knees. This quickly helps to maximize the body’s healing and repairing process to keep you comfortable. Massage again when you return home or you can first soak your feet in a warm magnesium salt bath….we like Natural Vitality Calm Bath… dry, and massage in our Foot Therapy Cream for soothing relief. Running your feet over a reflexology roller, a golf ball, or tennis ball after application also gives feet a great massage.
HAPPY FEET = HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Cheers